Skip to main content

Overpayment Waivers

Requesting Overpayment Waivers

Unemployment insurance benefits play a vital role in helping people stay in their homes and keeping communities strong. However, if someone receives benefits when they were not eligible, they may have to pay the money back. For many, receiving an overpayment notice can add stress to an already difficult time in people’s lives. If you received an overpayment notice, we encourage you to request an overpayment waiver if repayment would be a financial hardship.

The U.S. Department of Labor provides a waiver option for the overpayment of federal benefits for qualifying claimants. You may request a waiver if it is determined that you were NOT at fault for the overpayment AND paying it back would cause financial hardship. This waiver only applies to the following programs:

Federal Program Overpayment Waiver

• Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)

• Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC)

• Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)

• Lost Wages Assistance (LWA)

• Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation (MEUC)

Oregon legislation allows you an opportunity to request a waiver of any non-fraud overpayment of Regular Unemployment Insurance benefits and Extended Benefits if it is determined that paying us back would cause financial hardship. This waiver only applies to the following programs:

State UI Overpayment Waiver

• Regular Unemployment Insurance

• Extended Benefits (EB)

Waiver Request Submission Instructions

Submit your state overpayment waiver form or federal overpayment waiver form by:

• Email: – Subject: “Waiver Request”

• Fax: 503-947-1811 – ATTN: BPC Waiver Requests

• Mail: BPC Overpayment Waivers PO BOX 14130 Salem, Oregon 97309-5046

You can also submit your federal overpayment waiver online (English Only)

If you need help deciding which waiver form to use, please call us at 503-947-1995