Unemployment Insurance benefits are now live in Frances Online! The first thing UI customers with an active claim need to do is create a Frances Online account at frances.oregon.gov. After creating an account, you can submit your weekly claims using Frances Online! Learn more at unemployment.oregon.gov/frances

Verify Your Identity to Receive Unemployment Insurance Benefits

Verifying your identity is a necessary step before you can receive unemployment insurance benefits, and it helps to prevent identity theft.

The Oregon Employment Department works hard to prevent fraud and identity theft to protect workers and businesses. You can read more about how the agency fights fraud and how to protect yourself and others at Protect Yourself from Fraud.

You have options on how to verify your identity. The method you choose to verify your identity will not affect your eligibility to receive benefits.

St. Johns Bridge rises above and Willamette River at twilight in Portland.

WorkSource Oregon

After completing your initial application for unemployment benefits, you will need to meet with a trained professional from WorkSource Oregon in person or online. You will need to provide identification documents so this person can verify your identity and help you develop a plan for your career goals.

Use the WorkSource Oregon website to find a WorkSource Oregon center near you.

If you need help in a language other than English, you can verify your identity with WorkSource Oregon. Call the WorkSource Oregon Language Access Line at 833-685-0845.

Acceptable & Unacceptable Identity Documents

During your one-on-one orientation with a WorkSource Oregon Employment Specialist you will need to present two primary documents OR one primary and two secondary documents. Please review the acceptable & unacceptable identity document lists and bring the appropriate acceptable identity documents with you to your orientation.

Acceptable Documents

Primary Documents

Driver’s license (or learner's permit) from a U.S. state or territory (We will accept an expired license if it expired in the last 12 months and is intact.)

Other government-issued photo ID (Must be a permanent document with a photo. Military IDs, temporary or paper documents are not accepted.)

State-issued photo ID (We will accept expired ID if it expired in the last 12 months and is intact.)

U.S. passport

U.S. passport card

U.S. Permanent Resident Card (I-551)

USCIS-issued Employment Authorization Card (I-766) (No employer-issued ID cards)

Foreign passport

Veterans Health ID Card

DHS Trusted Traveler Cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI)

Canadian driver’s license

Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)

National ID card (only if residing outside of the U.S.)

Federally recognized, Tribal-issued photo ID

Secondary Documents

Full-color scans and PDFs of the following documents are acceptable as secondary documents

Social Security Card

U.S. Certification of Birth Abroad (FS-545)

U.S. Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350)

U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)

U.S. health insurance card

U.S. birth certificate with official seal (first and last name)

W-2 form

1098 form

Auto insurance card

Border crossing card

Canadian Indian and Northern affairs card

College or university student photo ID

College or university transcript

DOD certificate of discharge

Auto or home insurance statement

Letter attesting state residency

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program recipient certification

Native American tribal document

Non SSA-1099 form

SSA-1099 form

U.S. or U.S. territory voter registration card or certificate

U.S. Coast Guard merchant mariner card

U.S. Citizen Identification Card form (I-197)

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Puerto Rico recipient certification

Secondary Documents That Must Not Be Older Than 90 Days

These secondary identification documents must be in color and must display the following:

Cable or internet bill (showing your account number, full name, and current address) 

Water bill (showing your account number, full name, and current address) 

Phone bill (showing your account number, full name, and current address) 

Gas bill (showing your account number, full name, and current address) 

Electric bill (showing your account number, full name, and current address) 

Bank, loan, or financial institution statement (showing your account number, full name, and current address; issued by the bank) 

Medical bill (showing your account number, full name, and current address) 

Pay stub (showing your full name, employer or company name, current address; must be an actual pay stub not a paycheck)

Unacceptable Identity Documents

You cannot use the following documents for verification

Photocopies of original documents attesting state residency

Expired or invalid documents

Company employee ID cards

Digital driver’s licenses or state IDs

Documents that are temporary

Documents that are voided

Forms you fill out yourself

Letters from banks

Unemployment documentation

Unofficial student records


If you would like additional help with verifying your identity, there are several options to request help on our Ways to Contact Us page.

Ways to Contact Us