Skip to main content

Appeals and Hearings

Any time we reduce or deny your benefits, we send you an administrative decision. If you don’t agree with the administrative decision, you can appeal it by requesting a hearing. Your employer may also appeal an administrative decision.

Most decisions sent from the Employment Department include instructions for filing an appeal and the appeal deadline to timely request a hearing. Failure to file a timely appeal may prevent you from having the original Administrative Decision changed.

The best way to request a hearing is by submitting through the Contact Us Form. You may also request a hearing by mail, fax, or if you need additional help, by phone. We will provide you with language interpretation and disability accommodations upon request, at no cost to you. For more information on how to request a hearing, please visit

When you send a written request through the U.S. Postal Service, specifically state that you’re requesting a hearing and include:

  • Your Social Security Number or your Customer Identification Number (CID),
  • The administrative decision number, and
  • The mailing date of the administrative decision you’re appealing.

Please notify both the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) and the UI Center if your address or phone number changes after you request a hearing. More information about hearings and the appeals process can be found at OAH.

During the appeal process, continue to file for weekly benefits. If you don’t claim each week timely while your appeal is pending, you will not be paid for those weeks if the appeal is decided in your favor.